Thursday 26 October 2023

Poetic devices 15: Paradox


Life is complex and full of contradictions. As poets, we try to represent life in all its complexity and we can call upon an extraordinarily diverse range of devices to achieve their goals. One of the least understood, but perhaps most appropriate devices to illustrate our complex and contradictory lives is paradox. The poet can create tension that represents turmoil, confusion and even hypocrisy. Take the example of the line by William Shakespeare in Hamlet 'I must be cruel only to be kind.' It's a paradox. 

Paradox should not be confused with oxymoron. An oxymoron commonly uses just two word to create a contradiction - bitter sweet, awfully good, police intelligence (the last one is a joke, don't @ me). A paradox, by comparison can take up a full sentence or even an entire stanza. The following example by English romantic poet William Wordsworth is a great example of paradox:

my heart leaps up when I behold
a rainbow in the sky:
so was it when my life began;
so is it now I am a man;
so be it when I shall grow old,
or let me die!
the child is father of the man;
and I could wish my days to be
bound each to each by natural piety

The line 'the child is father of the man' is clearly paradoxical, but interestingly is a profound statement about how childhood shapes character in later life. It was so deep that Sigmund Freud stole the idea and used it to develop his philosophy in the development of psychotherapy. 

Paradox is not easy to achieve, but if you can do it, it's a neat yet effective way to add some depth to your poetry, so have a try!

Steve Wheeler

Image source


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a validating article on the contradiction of using paradox in poetry Steve. Your instruction is always so useful in crafting poems… each lesson often being a catalyst for new ideas and directions. The line by Hamlet inspires me all the more as it is my favorite play of all time. Paradox can be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imelda Zapata Garcia26 October 2023 at 14:42

    I will attempt it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great lesson! Thank you for this class!
    Universal Peace & Love 🪷

    ReplyDelete

Experimental Poetry 3: Fake Translations

Method 6: Fake Translations Now here's a really strange idea for you (They will get even stranger, believe me): If you want to break out...