Tuesday 29 August 2023

Writing Children’s Poetry




Do you remember those sweet fuzzy days when a parent would read you a bedtime story? Read it again read it again! Or even back to your earliest years of school… choosing a book from the shelf at quiet time, sitting down, and having a read? 


Who don’t remember “The Snowy Day” by Ezra Jack Keats, or “Where The Wild Things Are” by Maurice Sendack? Or how about Charlotte the spider’s encouraging words to the farmer to persuade him how wonderful of a pig Wilbur was in “Charlotte’s Web” by E.B. White? Precious stories!


The engagement of childrens’ minds is not such a hard one. IMAGINATION is at the heart of what kids think about. It’s a shame many lose that in adulthood. As a daycare teacher for 3-5 year olds and substitute for many many primary mornings… I witnessed this up close and personal at story time.


Often times I would read the same book in the early early grades… only I would change the stories just a little… oh the giggles concerning clumsy tigers, turtles in track and field, and ballerina hippopotamuses! I just made those up… but there is that wonderful imagination… we ALL have!!!


Children’s poems have one foot in imagination and the other in reality. Actively taking subjects from children’s imaginations, such as animals or inanimate objects and giving them human characteristics, is one common device. More common themes could involve sibling rivalries, daily activities, favorite things, and responsibilities.


Take this excerpt of a poem by Judith Viorst…”If I Were In Charge Of The World”… notice the chocolate sundaes, brushing teeth, and flushing the toilet…


If I were in charge of the world
A chocolate sundae with whipped cream and nuts would be a vegetable
All 007 movies would be G,
And a person who sometimes forgot to brush,
And sometimes forgot to flush,
Would still be allowed to be
In charge of the world.


                                       


Many children’s poets also mix a few adult references in there as well to entertain those tired eyed mommies and daddies that have to read this poem over and over and over! The quick reference to OO7 being G rated I’m sure made many a parent smile. 


Shel Silverstein achieves this so well in many of his works, including this one from “Where The Sidewalk Ends” entitled The Worst Monsters I’ve Ever Met..


                                        


I met a ghost, but he didn't want my head,

He only wanted to know the way to Denver.

I met a devil, but he didn't want my soul,

He only wanted to borrow my bike awhile.

I met a vampire, but he didn't want my blood,

He only wanted two nickels for a dime.

I keep meeting all the right people—

At all the wrong times.


                                       


Notice how he takes childrens’ fears and knocks  them down to kiddie comfort levels of reassurance? This is so absolutely clever on Silverstein’s part. This comfort is what could bring a child back to this poem again and again…



Have you ever written a children’s poem? It’s not hard! Just go back to that innocent programming before the adult concerns and weave a fun narrative using that forever perennial blossom of the poet soul… IMAGINATION!!!!!!


Was this article helpful? Inspiring? Troublesome? Please feel free to leave your comments below… and thank you for reading!! 


Matt Elmore

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful expose. You have opened to me a whole world of exciting experiments with the child's world. I love the examples of children poetry you gave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m very happy you found this article helpful! 🙂

      Delete
  2. Great piece Matt. I love writing children's poems and stories. Used to make them up for my kids when they were younger at bed time. Now they are older I ask my friends who have young kids what they are into and base some off that. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Donna! I was totally impressed with your poem for the corresponding exercise to this article on the Invisible Poets Facebook Group… If I would have known you were so talented at writing children’s poetry I would have used one of your poems as an example! Thanks for commenting poetess!

      Delete
  3. There are some amazing children's poets here in the UK. Brian Moses, Stuart Henderson, Steve Turner, Pie Corbett and Wheelsong's very own Jane Newberry all deserve a mention. Children's poetry is a huge market in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that using poetry in the classroom for children really stimulates conversation as a learning tool based around practical themes. They aren’t all just meant as bedtime books. This successful market in England for this type of poetry really says a lot about the rich tradition of quality literature that has always come from there!

      Delete

Wheelsong Poetry Anthology 5

Do you want to be a part of something really great? Something that is far more than just poetry? Something that will leave a lasting legacy ...