Saturday 8 July 2023

Beating writer's block

Writer's block... you know it. That helpless feeling that you want to write, you know you need to write... but the words just don't come. Or you write words, and they either make no sense to you, or they are fit for nothing more than the trash can. All writer's suffer from it at some point in their lives. Some have regular bouts of it. 

Wikipedia (that super intelligent font of all knowledge) helpfully states that writer's block is a non-medical condition. I had a snigger at that. That means, without too much extrapolation, that writer's block is psychological in nature. Now... if only there was a psychologist to hand to explain this.... oh, wait... there is. 

When you experience writer's block and you feel as though your muse has deserted you... create some inspiration for yourself. Here are seven useful ideas to get your flooded engine kick-started again:

1. Pick up any everyday object.... an old tea cup, a pair of muddy boots, a set of car keys... your dog or cat.... and write something about them. Doesn't need to be anything flowery or profound. Just write. 

2. Listen to some music. Any music will do. Close your eyes. Listen. Write about the first thing that comes into your mind.

3. Sit in silence. Close your eyes and listen to the noises around you. Some will be distance noises like the wind, traffic on the roads, children playing in the street.... write about that.

4. Grab any old image, or photograph... and write a poem about what that image evokes in you.

5. Turn on the TV or radio news. Yeah, I know it's depressing. But the very next new item that is presented becomes the basis of your next poem.

6. What was the last conversation you had? Can you remember? Write about what was said (or not said).

7. Let your imagination run wild. Think of two characters from history, or from a novel or from the world of pop music or the movies. Pair up the most ridiculous two you can possible imagine. Micky Mouse and Barack Obama... go on holiday together... there's a poem right there. (NB: I would have used Micky Mouse and Donald Trump, but there isn't a ridiculous angle there). 

I'm sure you can come up with plenty of other ideas to break open that writer's block. So come on... share your ideas in the comments box below. I would love to hear your ideas and suggestions!

Steve Wheeler

Image from Wikimedia Commons


8 comments:

  1. All excellent advice Steve! I always try and read some work from old master poets that get me inspired to jump back in the saddle angain and ride… I really look this particular blog. The voice of experience! Thanks for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imelda Zapata Garcia7 July 2023 at 00:27

    Brilliant advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no room to talk: the muse left me for months, but what I forgot to do was wrote notes. If I heard a phrase I liked, I would write it down, if I suddenly thought of two rhyming lines, I'd write those in my Notes app on my phone as well. Sometimes, I would just write odd words, basically, I used to gather prompts, and if I ever felt a drought of ideas, I woul refer back. Without those little prompts, my tap ran dry for far longer. Haiku are a quick way of jumping back in... actually, I might just do that now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice. A Haiku is short and can be about just about any theme.

      Delete
  4. Charlene Phare7 July 2023 at 17:25

    This is wonderful advice thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, great ideas... I use a few of those but to be honest. I have not tried what Matt brought up, reading older Poets or writers and I should. I do love Anias Nin and Woodrow/ etc. Many years ago I bought 'magnetic word tiles, and you throw them on a magnetic board or your front or side of refrigerator. It works and there are a lot of different themes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magnetic word tiles sounds similar to the cut up style of poetry emanating from the Dadaist school of art and espoused by the likes of Beat Poet William S. Burroughs and others. I must write a blog post about that soon!

      Delete
  6. Thank you. I often place so much guilt on myself if I find a day I can't write. The expectation from others that I should be writing and they think something is majorly wrong with me if I don't. Thanks for your helpful blog.

    ReplyDelete

Wheelsong Poetry Anthology 5

Do you want to be a part of something really great? Something that is far more than just poetry? Something that will leave a lasting legacy ...