Friday 30 June 2023

Using Images to Complement Your Poetry

As poets, many elements inspire us. However, did you know that pictures are subject to copyright for the life of the picture? Using pictures from the internet can be an infringement, especially if you are using them for commercial use, such as attempting to create book covers. You will not only find the picture will be distorted, but you could find yourself with legal problems. I stay safe by using the links provided below, or I take my own pictures.  

I am inspired by the world around us. I listen to conversations whilst out and about. Also, have you ever tried listening to music as an inspiration? Just writing the first thing that enters your mind. It’s amazing how a piece of music can sound so different from all the other times you have heard it.

I hear you asking: What’s the difference between taking pictures from my phone or a camera? 

A camera gives you more definition. It will provide you with a higher resolution of at least 300 dpi. A mobile phone (even with super duper lenses and all whistles with bells) gives you just 72 dpi. That’s great for the internet, but when it comes to printing a large format image such as a book cover, you’ll want it to look the best.  

We all know how much effort we put into our writing process. It’s the same for photographers. They share their work that they have worked hard to create. I don’t mind anyone using my pictures, but if they are specifically copyrighted then it’s polite to ask for permission to use.

I also use official copyrights for my poetry, such as: ©️2023 Charlene Phare

This provides a way for you to track back to your original work, should you find yourself a victim of plagiarism.

Personally I use free resources to find images, Pixabay is a great place, I use the Copyright sign for my own photography.

I have used a little trick in the picture that accompanies this blog, see if you can spot what I did.

Free resources for inspiration: 

https://pixabay.com/

https://unsplash.com/

Image ©️ 2023 Charlene Phare photography


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this important advice Charlene. It really can be a minefield when you start to use images to support your writing. I will be writing a follow up post soon on how to ensure that the images you use are copyright free and how to keep yourself safe from being sued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew Elmore30 June 2023 at 16:22

    I’m so glad you write this Charlene… and appreciate these free resources for corresponding pictures. I see what you did in the picture you took… the reflection on the water creates a depth that suggests more than one may perceive on the surface. Excellent picture and most practical advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlene Phare30 June 2023 at 16:32

    It’s something I wouldn’t have considered, however I worked in a
    Photography studio and print shop and it opened my eyes, I am looking forward to your follow up post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much Charlene. I have now made a note of photo sites recommended.
    Universal Peace & Love 🪷

    ReplyDelete

Wheelsong Poetry Anthology 5

Do you want to be a part of something really great? Something that is far more than just poetry? Something that will leave a lasting legacy ...